Is your club planning to take part in the Queen’s jubilee celebrations?
Many live music and nightclub venues are planning to take advantage of the jubilee occasion by putting on an event. However, whenever events are planned where you expect a larger capacity than normal at your venue, certain actions need to be taken to ensure the venue remains protected.
At NDML, we have provided some advice to help your club put on that perfect event while remaining fully protected:
Safeguard your contractors and equipment
It’s common for venues to hire extra entertainment to help draw the crowds. The drawback is that some of these extra activities or suppliers may have hazards that aren’t normally present at your venue.
If you are hiring hazardous equipment or attractions, it’s imperative that you make sure that all equipment has a full check and service history carried out by a qualified professional. It’s also important that the equipment has its own insurance.
You should request a copy of the public liability certificate from the contractor. If you’re unsure whether it’s valid or the liability limit is adequate, we’d be happy to take a look for you.
Ensure you notify your insurance provider
If you are planning to run a large jubilee event on your premises, then you must inform your insurance broker. Your broker will review your cover and decide whether special measures need to be put in place to increase your cover.
Venues must at all times be covered by employers and public liability insurance. If your club is having a jubilee party or event, you’re most likely covered as standard. Out of the ordinary events heighten your risk; insurers need reassurance you’ve considered the risks and have put relevant health and safety measures in place.
Conduct a safety risk assessment
Risk assessments and proper risk management are vital in the avoidance of any claims – especially considering changes to the sentencing for gross negligence manslaughter claims.
Controlling the increased hazards posed by running a jubilee event at your venue by executing a safety risk assessment. Ask questions such as:
- Where are the risks?
- What third-party structures could be damaged?
- What preventative measures are necessary?
To do a full comprehensive risk assessment, contact your insurance provider today. Club Insure will provide you with resources to comprehensively assess and improve the safety of your event.
Addressing Drunkenness and Intoxicated Behaviour
We know your jubilee event at your venue will go fantastically and your customers will enjoy themselves. Please remember however, that while drunkenness is to be expected, it is illegal for bar staff to purposely supply alcohol to anyone who is obviously drunk or disorderly.
In the best case scenario, your club will get a telling off and a fine. In the worst cases, you could have your license investigated.
Get your event out there
Using your own social media and online presence is great, give yourself enough time to adequately advertise your event. The government have also provided publicly available maps that your community can use to find your event. There are a number of activities recommended, each with their own downloadable information:
- The Big Jubilee Lunch – A once in a lifetime event, join millions of people across the UK to share friendship, food and fun. Learn how to be the perfect jubilee host by checking out their free downloadable pack here. You can then put your event on The Big Lunch Map, a national advertisement for both public and private events. This is the ideal way to get more visitors to your special club jubilee event.
- Beacon Lighting – The UK has a long tradition of celebrating Royal Jubilees, Weddings and Coronations through beacon lighting. Your bar or club could revise this tradition and make it a central part of your event. Discover more about Platinum Jubilee Beacon lighting by downloading the official guide here.
- Tree Planting – Another activity which would be well received at your club’s jubilee event is tree planting. There is a tree planting map accredited by The Queen’s Green Canopy. This is not only a great way to attract visitors, but also to quickly spruce up your surrounding area. Ensure all activities are signed off by your local council and insurance provider first.
- Jubilee Street Party – Your immediate local area may be running a street party. If you wish to be involved in a street party, contact us so we can review your street license and advise on what capacity you could possibly be involved. Find out if you are near an organised street party on the HM government map.
Are you a NDML partner?
Please read what our amazing clients have to say about our service – All our clients are protected by our large in house claims team. We have won back to back insurance awards including Independent Insurance Broker of the Year and Customer Champion Gold Award.
Contact us if you are a partner to talk to an expert directly about your jubilee event venue plans. If you are yet to be a client, contact us today to talk to one of our brokers and start your process.