Frequently Asked Questions

Find answers to the top questions most commonly asked by leaders in your field… 

Can’t see what you’re looking for? Let’s catch up.

What is NDML?

We're the leading specialist insurance broker for night-time leisure venues in the UK (such as nightclubs, bars, restaurants, hotels and many more). We partner with organisations such as the NTIA and Best Bar None to deliver positive change in the industry. You can find out more about us and our history here.

Why use a specialist broker?

You wouldn’t hire a bar manager who’s never pulled a pint. So why work with a broker who doesn’t live and breathe late night leisure? Our competitors offer to insure night-time businesses, but this isn’t their speciality and they won’t understand the sector like we do. We’re all about night-time leisure, so you can trust us to protect your business.

How can I get in touch?

We’re available on the phone, via email and on social media (you can even write us a letter, if you fancy going old school). You can also fill out our quick online contact form and a member of our team will get back to you asap.

Where can I get a copy of my Public Liability Certificate?

Contrary to popular opinion, insurers don’t actually issue Public Liability Certificates. However, if you need proof that you have the policy, we can issue a ‘to whom it may concern’ letter. Just contact us to let us know if you need one.

How do I report a claim?

Either give our claims team a call or fill in our online claims form. If it’s out of office hours and you’d like to speak to someone, you can call the insurer’s claims team on the numbers found here.

I’m not sure whether I want to make a claim or not. What should I do?

It’s always better to err on the side of caution when it comes to claims. Many insurers require you to let them know about a potential claim as soon as possible. If not, they may not deal with your claim at all. To be on the safe side and discuss your concerns with an expert, speak to your dedicated Account Executive.

How long do I need to keep my records for?

Claims defensibility is incredibly important. Remember, individuals have up to three years to make a claim. Therefore, we recommend keeping all accident books and business logs for at least three years. You can also take a look at our handy CCTV regulations blog.

What happens if someone makes a false claim against my insurance?

We work with insurance providers who support our view that a strong stance should be taken to defend any spurious liability claims. In other words, we’re on your side and will help you to defend false claims.

What’s wrong with offshore insurers, unrated insurers or using comparison sites? They’re cheaper.

Offshore or unrated insurers are often not financially secure enough to actually pay claims. Plus, they’re unlikely to ask important questions and tailor their policies to your needs, which may leave you underinsured. NDML only works with A-rated insurers because they offer the protection, security and strength that your venue needs. Check out our article explaining the five benefits of choosing an independent insurance broker.

Why did my old insurer pay a claim that I didn’t agree to settle?

We’re asked this a lot by new clients when we’re going through their claims history. They see a settled claim that they didn’t sign off and want to know why it was paid. The truth is that some insurers will pay claims to simply make them go away. Luckily, NDML has our own in-house claims team who hold insurers to account and make sure that claims are properly defended.

What are the benefits of choosing NDML?

We’re more than just an insurance broker. Our exclusive Business Protection product offers significant value to any night-time business. This includes full legal support, additional cover, licensing advice, premises checklist software and much more. Plus, our award-winning team offers exceptional customer service so you know you’ll always have experts on your side. Because night-time leisure is what we do, we offer a range of insight, advice and support for the industry. Check out our blog for the latest updates.

How do I avoid being underinsured?

Don’t worry about that. Our experts will guide you through the process and ensure you’re following the right procedures. If you want to find out how to make sure you’re never underinsured, check out our article on the subject.

Will improving my venue’s security bring my premium down?

Potentially. If you can prove to your insurer that you are mitigating against risk, they may consider you a safer bet. Take a look at these helpful articles on improving your security.

Am I covered for discrimination claims?

If a member of the public sues you for discrimination and you are found liable, you are unlikely to be protected by your insurance policy. Instead, mitigate against this risk and make sure you’re following the correct rules and regulations.

How do I find out about issues affecting the Night-Time industry?

We work alongside leading organisations and associations to ensure the night-time industry continues to thrive. We publish regular articles and reports on key topics, such as our Night-Time Industry Report, written in association with the NTIA.

How can I minimise chances of a Public Liability claim?

Good risk mitigation will help avoid accidents and injuries. Protecting your venue from the likelihood of slips, trips and falls will help to minimise claims.

New risks are impacting my business all the time. What can I do?

Make sure you’re insured. Our additional cover products, such as Cyber and Terror Insurance protect you against unlikely but potentially devastating risks. Our blog contains plenty of information about cyber crime and terrorism insurance.

I’ve been hit by noise complaints or complaints against my licence. What can I do?

Our legal helpline is there to help you 24/7, so you can always get in touch with legal experts to ask for advice if you’ve experienced a licensing issue at your venue.

I find insurance confusing and don’t understand many of the key terms. Can you help?

That’s what we’re here for! We appreciate the world of insurance can be full of jargons and complex terminology. Take a look at NDML’s jargon buster or get in touch with our team who can answer any questions.

There’s been a flood at my venue. What can I do?

Take a look at our blog for advice and get in touch with your Account Executive as soon as possible.

I want to run an event. Do I need additional insurance?

Chances are you won’t need special or additional cover for running an event at your venue - it’s likely to be covered by your existing policy. However, if you are organising an event that comes with additional risks, you may need to pay a small premium increase to cover you for the event. Speak to your Account Executive and let them know - no matter how big or small your event is, it’s far better to be safe than sorry. You must make sure that all outside contractors and suppliers hold their own adequate Public Liability Insurance.

Contact us